Thursday, June 28, 2012

Was Brave . . . Brave Enough?


So, I just saw the movie Brave last weekend in the theater.  Did I like it?  Yes, I liked it.  Did I love it?  No . . . no, I didn't love it.  And that's sad.  Because I really, really wanted to love it.  It's a PIXAR film, and who doesn't love PIXAR?

Every PIXAR movie I have ever seen has been wonderful, and I truly love their movies, like Toy Story 3, Up, and Wall-E.  I didn't see Cars 2 though, but could you blame me.  The movie got a dismal, totally bad rating on Rotten Tomatoes.  What was that score you may ask?  38%!  WHAT!  I'll repeat.  38%!!!  How? I don't know, but come on, before Cars 2 came out, I thought it was virtually impossible for an animated movie to get less than a 70% rating from Rotten Tomatoes, however I am aware that there are those select few animated films that are incredibly bad, which to keep them from further shame I will not mention them.  But for PIXAR, you might of as well have given the movie a 0%, that would be it's equivalent.  Okay, enough of Cars 2, and it's apparent suckiness.  We were talking about Brave a minute ago, let's get back to that.

So, Brave, liked it, didn't love it.  What was wrong with it?  What lacked in it that made me not feel the Disney magic?  Was it a well made story?  Yep.  Was there good funny characters?  Yep.  Was there action?  Yep.  Did it have a good message?  Yep, it had a great message.  Then what is going on?  Thinking about it more and more.  Maybe the story feels a bit . . . um . . . generic.  I wanted out there Disney.  I wanted primetime Disney.  I wanted Wall-E Disney.  I wanted to be on the edge of my seat.  I wanted to jump with joy.  I wanted to feel the true Disney magic of riding on a roller coaster of emotion and feeling.  I wanted unique.  I wanted special.  And Brave.  Even though good.  Even though entertaining.  Even though funny.  Wasn't Disney at their best.  And that left me unfulfilled.  The last line to be narrated before the credits was: "Our fate lives within us.  You only have to be brave enough to see it."  I believe it.  I just wish PIXAR still believed.  They used to be the pioneers in the animation businesses.  Now, they are so Hollywood . . . running on sequels . . . and making movies relying on their name!  Please, Monsters 2, don't be a rendition of Cars 2.  Bring back Disney/PIXAR magic!

No comments:

Post a Comment